Wednesday 18 December 2013

Green Fingers


I have always loved a landed residence like my family’s home with a lawn around so that I could do gardening. I was swooning at someone else’s garden who is so well taken care of with colorful blossoming flowers and even once told the boss I need to have one for my past times. Now, our humble abode comes along with a reasonable sized lawn on its sideway and a small patch on the other way near to our main gate. Of late, my so-called ‘garden’ has turned into an overgrown bush, and is in the progress of becoming a jungle pretty soon and I bet it could soon hide a baby elephant! If you are wondering I’m busy, the answer is a definite YES. Besides, it is rather hard for me to get a freelance grass cutter that goes on a bicycle going around in my residential area. For the past 6 months we have been staying here, my lawn was only trimmed once last August 2013, upon asking a favor from a relative’s gardener.

There was once I attempted to trim the grass on my own manually. I only managed about 2.5m x 1.0m (based on my crude estimations) which is about one-tenth or so of the whole area, my back was super ultra mega painful the next morning and it lasted almost a week *gasp*. It was indeed an excellent way to sweat out and now, I am secretly missing the ache when it was over. Lol. There was one time where I attempted to grow zinnias. I bought the seedlings from Giant and excitedly wished upon the star to see bright red zinnia in a few weeks time. Three weeks passed, and finally I see some greens sprouting out. It grew and grew and finally gets taller and I have been visualizing red  bright flowers in my head and even took sometime to choose a ceramic vase with matching color. Unfortunately very much to my disappointment, they were all weeds. I am not sure whether it was the problem with the seeds or me. Feeling very much deflated, I started to believe that I don't have green fingers.


Since then, the small patch of lawn were ‘adopted’ by Papa Pang (my FIL). Occasionally, he will drop by to look after our house and also gave me a little but great help with my lawn (read: bush) and he claimed it as getting his dose of exercise. He made full use of the small area to grow spring onions, and even soursop tree!. There was a mango tree which he planted  ever since before we moved in and it has started bearing fruits. The mango tree has been so fruitful and we have enjoyed its fruits for some time now. As for the soursop, the tree is growing healthily, and is about 4-5 feet tall to-date. I am hoping that I will be able to get my gardening mojo back pronto! Wish me luck, or perhaps green thumb in time to come :)


1 comments:

eehtsitna said...

It is definitely you. Nothing to do with the seeds.

And the mango tree was there way before we bought the house over. It was planted by the previous owner.

 

By aikoakito