Sunday 3 April 2016

Learning with gadgets


Little missy wants to take part in everything that we are doing. When I was working with my laptop with her around, she would cringe and insisted to be carried on my lap and lay her tiny fingers on the keyboard. Just a while ago, when I took out my laptop to work while she was busy playing with the broom pretending sweeping the floor, she hurriedly placed it down onto the floor and ran over to me. So, before I allow her to jump up onto my lap, I requested her to return the broom to its place and put her toys back to her bucket before we shared the laptop with two separate windows.

When I was checking on my phone, she would gesture up and down (signifying lion dance, to which she has currently generalized for all kinds of video clips) with both her index fingers, and uttered “teoh” (as in ‘video’). Despite many had been talking about 21st century learning, many go against to the idea of gadgets introduction among kids (especially as early as 1.5yo like Abby). I came across to a parent who told me that she only allow her 5yo daughter to watch cartoon once in a week and the rest of her time are fully occupied with revisions and more revisions. 

Learning about shapes

But, in my personal opinion, a little bit of everything might not do much harm. My main intention was to allow her to explore and enjoy her childhood (with supervision).  Hence, I have to figure out more educational informal learning at this stage- where her curiosity perks up high. Having said this, I have made it a point that the boss and I must minimize time spent with hand phones or tablets. But, on the other hand, I will take them as a reward for her if she behaves well when I brushes her teeth and get her changed into her pajamas before we called it a day. Usually, she will be rewarded one video (literally) but usually it lasted longer as Youtube video usually buffers one after another automatically. When nothing on the list fancies her, she would shove it back to me and I took the opportunity to lure her to sleep :P

idgcugiggbbwwmsmmsmmzseaqz
Abby's typing (27022016)

Occasionally, when I am free I would allow her to lay her hands on my laptop. Once in a blue moon, I would guide her with app games on my Microsoft tablet or the boss’ Ipad whilst she is very good at picking and clicking on Youtube videos now.  She picks up new things really fast and I am still praying that I can muster more energy and time to make her toddlerhood a meaningful yet memorable one.  I am holding on the mantra to take all things in moderation and in fact, instead I am focusing to inculcate more values (i.e patience, responsibility) in her at this age which I think matters most and still working towards it. 


0 comments:

 

By aikoakito