Wednesday 11 October 2017

Dear Abby


It was a heartbreaking moment when I reprimanded our girl last night. It was not the first time I get her to stand at the naughty corner nor the first time I ‘rotan’ her for misbehaving. But, it was not easy to explain, re-explain and eventually swinging the cane on her thigh when she actually thought all she did was all right. She has been going out with her grandaunt all these while and come home with a set of new toy almost all the time. We have reminded her numerous times not to buy any more toys prior to this and she even received her punishment because of the similar issue before this but I think it was reasonable enough as she was reprimanded because she excused herself with ‘Abby needs that’ (her favourite tagline these days and usually she will come up to this when she has nothing else to say) or ‘Abby got not enough toys’ (Well, can't blame her totally as we adults are using the same old excuse when it comes to clothing or cosmetics :P). Most of the time, I would listen and eventually tolerated and advised her nicely but I can hardly tolerate to these two reasons when her stash of toys at home is barely played twice!. I was so crossed the moment she said this as if we have not given her to pick her own toys prior to this and not to mention, she already has a few similar sets at home. All we wanted her to learn about being grateful and most of all, not to be greedy and taking things for granted. 

Picture was taken on 231017 at Mimpian Jadi Resort in conjunction with my workplace's Family Day. Missy's little wish was granted when my colleague passed by and she was allowed to go up for photographs :) 


But last night, granduncle/aunt just couldn't let her go home empty handed as usual. I think the adults might have somehow taught her to tell her to get a toy her mommy ‘would fancy’, as to make her feel less guilty from disobeying. And this little fella without a second thought picked up a cake baking set and happily exclaimed ‘Mommy, I have bought you a present!’ the moment we picked her home last night. Upon reaching home, I explained for a length of time before I whipped Mr. Rotan on her thigh for three times. It was heartbreaking when she non-stop explaining to me that she simply wanted to buy me a present :( She even repeated the same thing when she apologized and hugged me and hub before our bedtime stories. I was shattered deep inside.

In fact, we have reminded her grandaunt not to pamper her too much and we wouldn't mind her going to have a few pieces of chips and relented her to have some ice-cream/chocolates occasionally. Last week, she bought a Little Pony Capsules during her outing (with reminders of not to buy) and I am grateful that she told me everything upon coming home. She told me that grandaunt/uncle asked her to leave her toy at their place in order to be spared from her daddy’s scolding. Sigh.

It is definitely not easy to be a parent these days, huh? I totally understand the reason behind her grandaunt/uncle intention and I know that at the age of 3, I couldn't expect my precious girl to resist her temptations when convinced by her favorite adults either. Dear Abby, Mommy simply hoping that you could grow up in good virtues and faith. You are lucky (in fact too lucky) to be surrounded by so many generous family members around you. But, learning to love God more, learning to appreciate, share and embrace are what truly matters. Love you to the moon and back, princess :)



0 comments:

 

By aikoakito