Tuesday 22 November 2016

First Sewing Project: Sewing Machine Cover


Lately, I have fallen in love with sewing. My mom had gotten me a new Singer electric sewing machine sometime early 2013 but the machine had been serving as a white elephant all these years. I have once lent it to my aunt and sis-in-law. But, back it went to the shelf and remained as a display item.  The sudden urge to pick up sewing came about when the boss suddenly required me to thread the machine for him to alter the length of his new trousers a night before going outstation for a conference the next morning. With a surprised and skeptical look whether my boss can actually  sew, I was guilt-ridden and ashamed of myself too :P In fact, we have been asking for AIL’s help all these while and since she is currently working on her daughter’s wedding gown, we didn't want to bother her this round. I was feeling so culpable  for not knowing how to thread a machine despite owning it for almost a good 4 years! So, i ended up offering the boss to hand sew instead.

Over a casual conversation with AIL (mentioned above) whom inspired me to bake before this about my intention to learn sewing from her, she dropped by our place the following afternoon and taught me how to thread upper and lower thread. The following day, I went through my Pinterest album again and went through all the sewing projects i have once admired and pinned with my wishful thinking of producing them myself.  When mojo kicked it, I rummaged into my stash of sewing materials (I have been hoarding these stuff all these while despite I did not sew) and made my maiden attempt to produce a sewing machine cover simply because it appeared to be among the simpler one, and partly because I don't have an easy-to-access cover for my machine (except the waterproof cover and a travelling bag that came along with the machine, which are perfect for machine storage).


This is my first sewing project with my machine :)  It may not be my first time sewing lines with a machine, but definitely my first time handling a bias tape and sponge and not to mention threading a machine (like a pro now? LOL). The output was a far from perfect one. The seams and bias tape are messy, lines are crooked, and may be countless to be mentioned one by one. But, guess what? My all-time-fan, my girl decided to trade her favorite traveling blanket with this ‘mini comforter’ and refused to return it to me when I was half way through the project :D.  








0 comments:

 

By aikoakito