Friday 10 June 2011

Books Obsession and Nyonya House (娘惹屋)


Right after our first paper (250411), we sneaked out to 1B considering the fact that we have about 10 days gap (if my memory serves me right) before the next paper. While the rest were off for Fast 5, Joyce and I hop over to Harris. There was a big bang sale on certain selected books. However, that was more than enough to make us contemplate on which to choose! Brightly litted with strong air-cond, it was very pleasant to be spending time going through books. How I wished those were holidays that time =P. After a good time choosing, putting down and narrowing down our selections, we finally ended up with 4 books, 2 each. =)


Thereafter, we headed to Nyonya House (娘惹屋) which was located at Ground Floor for a late lunch. We practically had the restaurant all for ourselves, which also explained how we managed the pix below =P. We had our books neatly arranged on their display wall behind our seats, and snapping away with glee. Err, have I ever mentioned that I am not really an ardent reader? But I love owning books =P


Nyonya or also known as the Straits Chinese or Peranakan arewell known for the traditional cuisines and refinements. The ambience of this restaurant has the veritable feel of a Peranakan, at least for me who's not being able to know a single authentic Nyonya friend, someone who have never seen how a real Peranakan residence may look like. It was all about my imagination that marvels with what Shirleen had mentioned to me before about her home town and being a less than a semi Nyonya. =)


Besides this reminded me of Little Nyonya series, which was really an eye opening to me personally towards Peranakan culture and food. Through the series also, I came to know about their whats, whens,hows and whatnots. Not letting slip, drooling over their delicacies all the time.

These are what the both of us shared for lunch that afternoon:

Grilled Stingray (Ikan pari) in BBQ Style

This is one of the must-order if I happen to drop by for the next visit. The fish was perfectly grilled. The flesh was very tender and not too dry but crunchy enough. Very well-balanced.=) I was relieved that they separate the sambal topping, instead of spreading it on top of the fish, which a little bit too spicy for my taste bud, but tasted very much to my liking.

Kang Kung stir-fried with sambal belacan

Don’t get deceived by its humble and bland looking. It tasted superb, spicy, has strong aromatic shrimp paste, enough wok-hei.





0 comments:

 

By aikoakito