Monday 14 November 2011

Perching on a Ladle


I have a thing for insect, but not all kind of insects. Cockroaches are definitely the first to be stroked out of the list.  I am always attracted to them but unfortunately, I know the name (in layman’s) only for some common ones. Here’s a grasshopper alighting on a ladle inside the utensil holder in our kitchen (081111). I just found out that there are 18,000 kinds of different grasshoppers in the world. So, this is certainly one of the 18k :) Many years back, when we have just moved into our current neighborhood, we can easily chanced upon rare and beautiful insects perching by inside the house. Prolly they were seeking refuge after the vast lush greenery had been chopped down for development.


I recollect vividly that I can easily catch up to 5 reasonably sized insects in one evening to be brought over to school the following day for Science subject when I was in my lower secondary. I was schooling in the afternoon session then, and I remembered of checking on them from time to time that morning at my nanny’s place. I was so pleased when they were still alive inside a plastic container with some breathing holes and few strands of grass inside the moment I reached the school. These days, we can still enjoy these little friends of God’s creation but no longer as often. The last time I saw one was penned down here :).


2 comments:

eehtsitna said...

They dont really call this grasshopper but i cant recall the exact name for it.

Do some homework yourself lah. :P

aikoakito said...

Oh? You mean locust? :P

 

By aikoakito