Saturday 16 July 2011

I can read 华语

The 7th Asia Christian Book Fair (3rd-5th June 2011)

I first stumbled upon its advertisement during a breakfast at Kwong Tung Chai charcoal roasted duck Kolombong. From that split seconds, we, the siblings made up our mind to go and have decided when and what time to reach at that very moment :). Given that it was a rare occasion, less frequent than we have the chance to get up on MV Doulos, hence we wouldn’t want to let go the opportunity and planned ahead to be among the early birds on its first day. My recent English NIV bible was bought from MV Doulus back in 2007, and first brand new bible was bought when I was in my primary two. Being a banana Chinese, who can only survive speaking Hakka as my mother tongue, a handful of Mandarin along with smattering Cantonese, I cannot write Chinese characters except for my name and some kindergarten level characters at the same time recognizing some simple characters, but to certain extent.

I have been struggling and make a resolution after another, unfortunately simply mojo I have in me cannot stand alone, and self learning is almost unattainable for me without any language sifu. Heard of some bilingual bibles from some church members before, despite the pin yin availability, there were some downsides; such as the availability for pin yin were either its availability was only for the New Testament or it can only be purchased in Korea (the publishing country of this bible), and so on. So, my main aim visiting this exhibition was the wisest decision, ever!. My prayer was granted and I found a bilingual bible which enabled me to read Chinese with guided pin yin for every character, and most importantly it is a complete Bible :). How to not feel euphoric when I can tell everyone that "I can read 华语 (Huáyǔ i.e Mandarin)" ? LOL I am so pleased that it’s a Chinese with pin-yin and New King James version; instead of King James, the version my mom have been using until today but a challenge for me who have been accustomed to NIV.





Among the participating booths were coming all the way from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Peninsular Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur and Johor Bahru), China and Singapore. I got this from a Singaporean booth, the only booth selling this bible beside Johor Bahru’s, which is selling it with slightly higher price. I got my deal for a jaw-dropping deal at only RM150. Expensive? Super cheap! The retail price was RM228. What a bargain eh? :)



My concern now is to get familiarize with the index which is only available in Chinese Character. Opps, yes I am a person whose very much dependent on index :P. And I am currently scouting for a box with the right measurement (too bad they were either smaller or way too big) or hand-made (or maybe tailored) cover or casing to house my new bible =). By the way, I heart Japanese fabric with abstract design or colorful print very very much. Hope I can manage some and DIY a cover, someday!

0 comments:

 

By aikoakito